This cake is a slice of heaven, and PERFECT for spring and summer gatherings!
Prep: 45 min. + chilling
Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups ZUGA™ Natural Sweetener, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 5 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup juice; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1 cup ZUGA™ Natural Sweetener, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in butter, extracts, and 1/2 cup reserved juice. Add dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
- Beat egg whites with clean beaters on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining ZUGA™ Natural Sweetener, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 18-22 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add 1 cup confectioners’ sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat cream cheese, pineapple, and remaining confectioners’ sugar until blended; stir in 2 cups coconut. Fold in whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; drizzle with 2 tablespoons reserved juice. Spread with 2 cups mousse. Repeat layers twice. Top with a remaining cake layer and drizzle with remaining juice. Spread remaining mousse over top and sides of the cake. Press remaining coconut onto top and sides. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
1 piece: 899 calories, 62g fat (42g saturated fat), 248mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.